Tuesday, December 8, 2009

What Can We Do?


photo credit:  www.emory.edu
 I was asked after the first post what friends and family can do to help and if time will make it better or are there other factors.  I can only speak for me and what helps me.  If you have other suggestions let's hear them.
 My ups and downs are linked to my hormone levels as well as situational factors.  I can push through the lows if I have something really great to motivate me, i.e. people.  I am as extroverted as you can get, so I love company, visits from friends and family, walking group, craft day--you get the idea.  I scoured my whole house for Thanksgiving because my parents were coming.  Anything less special couldn't get me to do it.  It helped that I was on the up part of my mood cycle.  If I am down I will not perform if I do not feel loved, supported, or understood, which drives my husband to distraction.  I just want to stay in bed and sleep or read.  It takes a huge amount of mental effort to get out of bed and get dressed.  Showers are optional and aren't taken.  I use the excuse that my skin just comes apart if I bathe too often (which is true), but showering for church is not often enough.  I have goals that never seem to get met.  Time does not heal all wounds, it just passes.
 If you would like to help, be there for me.  Ask me how I am and really want to know.  Be patient with me.  Encourage me.  Support me; love me.  Invite me places or come visit me.  Do not cover my responsibilities for me or I will never try.
 Next post I will do some research and find out what helps others with their bipolar disorder.

1 comment:

  1. I know that this works for those that don't even have Bipolar or any other mental illnesses. Let people know that they are cared for and appreciated will go a long way. Thank you for be there for me. Knowing that you and others wonder were I am when I am not to something Makes me fill great. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete